7:04 AM

Gathering Peascods and Philip

My first weekend of rehearsals out at TRF was a blur of so many things. I was TERRIFIED, yet somehow really excited about the whole thing. As some have noticed, I have quite an affection for the empty faire site and the rehearsal process, and I am positive that it started that first weekend.

We were taught - in no uncertain terms - not to be late. Anyone who has ever worked with David can tell you he has no patience for lateness. Terrhan and I were almost late one time - and that was fairly terrifying. The first weekend was a whirlwind of "new" for me. I'd never acted before - only been in pit orchestras. I'd never worked with adults as peers before, I'd never had to do improv. I was completely intimidated and completely curious.

After the obligatory opening remarks, we were taken on a tour of the site, and told to look at it with fresh eyes. We were told to look at everything with the new eyes of our characters, to look for things we might have overlooked before. This grew into one of my favorite exercises years later (and revealed to me, when one of my characters had a ... negative ... reaction to nakedness exactly how many paintings and carvings of decolletage are scattered around the faire site). This time though, I had no idea what I was doing. I followed along, trying to look for things a fairy might find interesting. Trees, canopies, flowers, this fantastic bower near the battle mound that was made of intertwined trees....I was starting to see where this was going.

After lunch, we set about to work. This was David's first year out at TRF, and the Performance Company was quite small - around fifty people at that point. It had been decided that we should learn something together we could use to interact with patrons - a dance. Now this was something I could do!

We gathered in the shade of the old Entertainment Building and paired up. I was just a wisp of a thing, still in High School, and hadn't said more than a few words to anyone all day. I must have looked quite lost, and had been hanging back, near the benches.

"Would you care to dance?" a kind voice asked me. A red-haired man was holding out a hand to me, smiling kindly and quite patiently. I think I looked at the ground and took his hand like all the other ladies around me. We took our place in the circle.

This was my first attempt at Renaissance dance. It was a simple dance - Gathering Peascods - and I focused everything I had on trying to not look stupid. The whole time, my partner made sure I understood what was happening, where I should be going. He made me feel completely un-self-conscious and at ease. When the class was over, he kissed my hand and we all moved back to the Globe to work on something else.

I have never forgotten that. Philip Hafer taught me, in just a few minutes, what being a good partner was all about. I have always regretted not having a chance to know him better. When he passed later that season, there was a sadness that passed over everyone, over the whole festival site, that was palpable and deep. I had just met him, barely a passing moment, and his kindness touched me.

Years later, even after a thousand times through and groans from everyone at the sheer mention of the dance, I always think of Philip. Rest in Peace, your majesty.

0 comments:

Post a Comment